[Developers] Link order of libraries

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Sat May 2 08:44:03 PDT 2009

Arni Magnusson wrote:

The general rule would be that the order does not matter for Borland and
VC++, because their
linker will look backwards to find  unsatisfied references.

The linker used with GCC only looks forward so the natural way tor der
the libraries is to put
 liba before libb if liba refers to things in libb.  Then if libb  also
refers to things in liba you need to
put liba after libb as well in the list.  So just in case it is easeir
to duplicate the list at least once
so that thee are no unsatisfied references because dependencies have a
tendency to slip into the
libraries over time.

Normally if thee are two identical symbols in the libraries lists for
Borland and VC++ I thought
you would get a warning message or an error. However maybe this is not
the case. Changing the order
presumably causes a different function to get included. Probably just by
comparing the map files for the
Borland linker you could see how the links differ.