[Developers] ADMB-IDE licensing

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Thu May 14 12:22:18 PDT 2009

This licensing is not an enjoyable topic, but compulsory education for the
ADMB development team, I guess. Now, regarding the licensing of ADMB
itself, the current admb/trunk/LICENSE talks about

   general terms of the "BSD" license

while admb/trunk/LICENSE.txt talks about

   general terms of the "New BSD" license

and the manual talks about

   general terms of the "New Free BSD" license

The manual also uses the spelling "licence" and "license" on the same
page.

---

According to http://opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php, BSD licenses
comes in two flavors:

1. The BSD License. It has three clauses, although before 22 July 1999 it
had four. Synonyms include "The Modified BSD License" and "The New BSD
License", but they are not very descriptive, since there exists another
version that is also modified and new:

2. The Simplified BSD License. It has two clauses. Synonyms include "The
FreeBSD License". The difference is that people would be allowed to use
the names of UC, Otter Research, and the ADMB Foundation to promote
derived products.

Shouldn't we converge to either "The BSD License" or "The Simplified BSD
License". The latter offers beauty with simplicity, unless the promotion
issue is relevant. The Simplified BSD License is what today's main BSD
system (FreeBSD) uses, so it's no minor offshoot.

Cheers,

Arni