[Developers] ADMB Getting Started Guide

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Tue Apr 20 18:18:58 PDT 2010

Hi Jim,

I believe you volunteered to coordinate comments from the La Jolla
participants, before they are sent on to Kiersten. Please find my comments
below.

First of all, the guide is an excellent addition to the existing
documentation. Definitely the place to start for beginners, before opening
the main ADMB manual. The amount of overlap is not excessive and one could
almost call them part I and II, although perhaps they will be merged
eventually.

The guide uses many external web links (in magenta) to
https://code.nceas.ucsb.edu, e.g. in Sections 1.2, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, and 7.4.
These are currently useless for readers who don't have username and
password.

The first paragraph in Section 2.1 should say "ADMB runs on Windows,
Linux, Mac OS, and OpenSolaris."

The 'Make' application is not required to use ADMB, and will not be
included in upcoming releases of ADMB. To reflect this change, references
to 'Make' should be removed from Sections 2.1, 2.2.1, 2.2.1.8, and 2.2.6.

Sections 2.1 and 2.2 should mention ADMB-IDE as an alternative setup,
providing a full-featured IDE.

Section 5.1 - and other instances of 'makeadm' - should use the 'admb'
compilation script.

Section 6.5 should mention the 'R2admb' package, and not the 'scape'
package.

Chapter 8 should be extended, based on keywords.txt
(http://admb-project.org/documentation/api/keywords.txt/view), to include
functions like 'colfill', 'sfabs', and the 'rand*' functions.

In Table 8.1, 'extract_row' can be replaced with 'row'. The definition of
'mfexp' should mention that it is safer than 'exp' (see ADMB manual). The
definition of 'regression' should start with "Calculates the concentrated
log-likelihood of ...". The functions 'initialize', 'column',
'extract_row' (or 'row'), and 'regression' should probably be moved to
Sections 8.2 and 8.3.

The mathematical notation in Tables 8.2 and 8.3 should have subscripts in
rendered in subscript.

---

Thanks to Kiersten for putting this manual together, and to you for
coordinating the comments!

Arni