[Developers] MCMC not working in ADMB10

Allan Hicks Allan.Hicks at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 18 15:45:26 PST 2010

Hi All,

I wish that I had the time to present a solution to this problem, but
unfortunately I am only identifying the issue.

It appears that the MCMC algorithm is not working in ADMB 10 beta. When
an MCMC is run, the acceptance rate goes to 0 or 1, which seems to
depend where it left off during the scaling phase.  Attached are screen
outputs from the catage example run in ADMB10 and ADMB9.  You can see
that ADMB10 also runs out of memory after 21800 iterations.  ADMB9
appears to have run the MCMC fine.

This brings up a point I have been thinking about. Should we include
testing of MCMC results with new versions of ADMB? This is something we
are just beginning to discuss with regard to testing new versions of SS3.

Thanks for all your help,
Allan