[Developers] adprogram_name

Jim Ianelli Jim.Ianelli at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 4 08:18:17 PDT 2011

Recompiled ADMB from source code the other day and things are working
ok-except that adprogram_name seems to be acting strangely.

A model called "tm" (for transcendental mindlessness) that compiles fine and
runs from within gdb perfectly gives the following message when run outside
of gdb (i.e., normally):

tm

Error: Invalid index / used for array range [1, 2] in "unsigned char &
adstring::operator()(int i)". Index out of bounds

If I run it outside with the following:

.\tm

It works.

Printing out the program name (to dig deeper) I see that the above command
(from within gdb) give:

C:\Users\jianelli\Desktop\fsct/tm.exe

The classic windows vs unix slash war.

Oddly, if I switch to drive d: and run C:tm it works fine.

Not sure if this is something that is an easy fix but it is sure a lame
error that will turn people away quickly if not fixable (or maybe I'm alone
with this issue?)  I recall Buck Stockhausen had a similar naming convention
issue that changed the behavior in a recent email.

Cheers,

Jim