[Developers] Physical location of user manuals

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Fri Dec 16 05:52:24 PST 2011

So far, the division has been something like this:

* http://code.google.com/p/admb-project/downloads/list

Everything the general user needs. The program and user manuals on a
single organized page. We take a deep breath before submitting a new
release. Things should work and are fully supported by the ADMB
Development Team.

* http://admb-project.org/

Everything else. Tons of stuff in a deeply nested tree. We put stuff here
all the time, delete and shuffle around. Things may not work, and are in
many cases irrelevant for the general user.

I think it has worked well to use separate sites for these two purposes.
It's also worth noting that Google has mirrors around the world, so
downloads will be fast in remote places like South Africa and Iceland. In
my case the download speed difference is 3x between a Swedish Google
mirror and our server in Santa Barbara.

The download counter is not only cool, but a useful information about our
user base and what platforms are being used. (Who's that mysterious user
downloading ADMB for Solaris? Was that you, Johnoel?)

Arni