[Developers] palallel processing with MPI

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Sun Jul 3 08:55:44 PDT 2011

Hi lazy people!

I have implemented parallel computation of the Hessian using open mpi.

I did it with my old code base because I have it set up better for
debugging.
There are only a small number of file to change however. I attached a zip.

The slaves write their part of the Hessian into their own temporary files
with _slavenumber appended.  This will have to be done for all the
temporary files
since in the simple implementation  all processes are in the same directory.

The main work is to write all the functions to pass autodif types back
and forth.
I have made a beginning.

Onced you install openmpi the makefile needs to be modified to include
the write compile flags for openmpi.   see the openmpi docs concerning

  the mpicxx -showme:compile and -showme:link   options

By extending this stuff a bit we shold be able to parallelize problems
like Mollie's pond model
to speed it up a lot (hopefully).

Feedback would be welcome. I'm off hiking for 4 days tomorrow.

             Dave