[Developers] installers vs. zip files for distributing ADMB

Ian Taylor ian.taylor at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 4 10:17:13 PDT 2012

Hi Developers,
Inspired by some off-list email discussions, I've been thinking about
installers vs zip files as a method of distributing ADMB.

I personally find the executable installers to be an easy tool for
beginners and reduce a hurdle for new users, but personally prefer to
change my environmental variables than always opening the ADMB command
window. It's easy to run the installer, change the env. vars and ignore the
ADMB command window, but we might consider offering a set of zip files for
downloads along side the installers. However, I see a few flaws with that
approach:

   1. added complexity in downloads page
   2. added complexity in installation instructions
   3. danger that if experienced users stop using installers, there's less
   scrutiny of installers and greater likelihood of errors slipping through

-Ian