[Developers] unifying language: "MinGW", "GCC", and "g++"

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Mon Mar 26 11:18:43 PDT 2012

I would certainly talk about the GCC compiler, not the g++ compiler.

By analogy, we talk about the Visual C++ compiler (not the cl compiler)
the Intel C++ compiler (not the icpc compiler), and the Clang compiler
(not the clang++ compiler). The lower case things are commands.

The meaning of the term MinGW is murky indeed ... an umbrella project for
anything that makes Windows more similar to Linux. MinGW offers products
that include (1) GCC that runs in the Dos shell, (2) many Linux-like
utilities that run in the Dos shell, and (3) a full-blown Linux emulator.
In a README file it may be easier to get the point across by saying "GCC
in Windows". In admb-trunk/README.txt, I have written "Windows and GCC"
for the sake of alphabetical ordering.

So, like a Chinese restaurant, we strive to use little or no MinGW in our
readmes. The surrounding words must clarify what is meant. The file
'mingw.mak' refers to MinGW product #1 from the menu above, today's
special.

With cross compilation (building binaries on platform A that run on
platform B or C, but won't run on A) the confusion starts for real. I
propose writing a DONTREADME.txt to cover that stuff.

Arni