[Developers] Big improvement in the function minimizer with GPU.

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Tue May 8 10:44:39 PDT 2012

Hi Dave,

Speeding up ADMB by a factor of 32 is a staggering improvement indeed!
It's great to see the example written in user-end TPL (sections etc.) and
not some lowest-level hardware-specific system calls in C. Obviously,
those calls are being made somewhere, but the level of abstraction that
you demonstrate looks very promising.

Like you have suggested, it is time to get as many ADMB developers as
possible to try this out, but how do I start? Specifically:

(1) Does this approach assume a GPU from a certain vendor?

(2) Do I need to install some GPU developer library? Hopefully no license
conflict with BSD.

(3) Can we expect this to work on all operating systems?

(4) Can we do this speed comparison for other ADMB examples, like
simple.tpl, catage.tpl, or even random effects? If not, what would need to
be done in order to run those models on GPU?

I ask these questions in an enthusiastic, not pessimistic, tone. This is
revolutionary stuff. After all, the shiny 48-core Linux server downstairs
probably has no GPU, so maybe the next IT purchase should be a GPU
cluster?

It would be great if ADMB will provide a -gpu option in the near future. I
imagine the user would pass that option at an early stage (adcomp and
adlink) and not the end stage (as in mymodel -gpu)?

Arni