[Developers] opencl newfmin example

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Thu May 17 19:33:34 PDT 2012

On 12-05-17 04:46 PM, Ian Taylor wrote:

Thanks for that Ian. I really appreciate your efforts.

How much did the Amazon stuff cost?

Otherwise  what have we learned here so far?

1.) People should be told you need to know how to compile.link C/C++
programs
to play with this.

2.) You really need to determine that your GPU supports double
precision/whatever
before wasting time.

3.) For an artificial problem which is set up to exploit the possible
superiority  of
GPU's you can do a lot better with this stuff.

  I'm not surprised that catage does not do better. It is only a few
variables
like 38 if I remember (although that is considered HUGE on the R list)

For the Multifan-CL model we will probably be approaching 10,000 parameters
so with multi-species models and that is the kind of problem I am
thinking of
for this stuff.

However all this led me to revisit the limited memory newton version of
newfmin
that I built.  It performs much better than the BFGS version on this
admittedly
artificial useless function designed by academics.   It appear that this
verion of the Rosenbrock function is exquisitely sensitive to roundoff error
in the quasi-newton update.

I modifed the BFGS update to use the dd_real type.  This is stuff I
added to Autodif
to support things in Multifan.  I don't think they are  in the free
version at present
although I see no reason why they can not be ... but I digress ... The
point is that
the BFGS and LBFGS agree completely when the BFGS is done with dd_real
precision (128 bits).   Now for 10,000 variables it seems clear that one
might
as well use the LBFGS update.

Conclusion?  The BFGS update exercise is a waste of time maybe.

But it was interesting.

Next question.  Can doing the LBFGS update on the GPU for 10K plus
parameters
be worthwhile.