[Developers] Thead Stuff (SteveM at iphc.int)

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Wed Jul 10 08:48:41 PDT 2013

On 13-07-09 01:55 PM, Steve Martell wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Both of your examples worked just fine on my machine.  Only minor
> modifications to the makefiles to export the correct path.  Thanks to
> both Statler and Waldorf for your hard work on this.  I'll have
> another go at the demo that I was working on in Seattle. Otherwise I
> got similar nonlinear run times as the number of threads increased.
>  Also, hessian calculations are not multithreaded, right?

Multi processing the Hessian calculations has been done before. It is
one of those "embarassingly parallizable" things i.e
it is easy to do.

No idea what happened to that effort though.

The current multi-threading effort is more complicated because the
derivative calculations are spread out over multiple threads.   Once we
verify that the thing is viable it remains to
extend the effort to higher derivatives for the random effect stuff.