[Developers] [ADMB Users] ADMB meeting in Reykjavik - Doodle Poll

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Mon Jun 17 08:04:45 PDT 2013

On 13-06-17 12:36 AM, Laurie Kell wrote:

The SPC guys use Condor for running many instances of a program
(MULTIFAN) .  They also use it for
calculating the Hessian over multiple machines.  From my point of view
these are legitimate, but trivial
instances of parallelization.  If you are interested you might contact
Nick Davies (when he surfaces).

There are multi-threaded versions of the Blas which I have tested for
doing LU decomposition.
These are very fast for large matrices compared to the current code.
The interesting thing is
to understand their obtuse fortran formulations so that corresponding
adjoint code can be written
in C++.  I would be interested in collaborating on that.

My current posting was more about true multi-threading, using pthreads.
I have a few trivial examples to show where the boilder plate goes and
an application to Multifan where we calculate the stuff for tag returns
for different tag releases
in parallel as well as a bit more parallelization.

Sibert also has done a "real world" example of this.  His appears to get
much better results
that I do. At present I can get Multifan to run in about 57% of the time
for multi-threaded version
on an I7 laptop  Sibert gets approx 5 fold improvement on some multicore
big machine.

I also would like the extend the multi-threading by adding the ability
to transparently use multiple hosts.
It two threads are on the same host they communicate via pthreads, if on
different hosts
they communicate via MPI.   this should be almost effortless for the user.

           Dave