[Developers] trying to compare autodif with cppad

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Mon Aug 25 09:36:52 PDT 2014

On 08/16/2014 11:55 PM, Kasper Kristensen wrote:

Hi Kaspar,

Been off hiking for eight days, hence the respite.

Thanks for the comments.  I should explain that where I am tryhijng to
go with this is to anticipate
what problems might be encountered when turning ADMB into a cppad
application rather than the
existing autodif one.

The LU decomposition comes to mind because it was the first serious
function I needed to write adjoint code for
in order to make autodif useful for what were practical sized problems
at the time.

The atomic construction you pointed out looks to be really useful if it
works as promised. I'll give it a try.

Its greatest advantage over autodif (again if it works as promised) is
that with one pice of code it seems possible to
do local forward and reverse model AD of higher order.  I had to code
the derivatvies for each of these cases.

I would like to look at what is involved in getting the Openblas LU
decomp routine modifed to use this feature.

The idea is to take the blas and turn them into atomic functions in the
cppad sense.  Maybe this has already been done?
It seems like an obvious thing.

First step is to replace the FORTRAN calls in the Lapcake function to
blas in openblas with the C functions in some form of cblas
and make sure thihngs don;t get too slow.  Then turn the blas into
atomic functions. any advice you have would be appreciated.

      Cheers,

       Dave