[Developers] Request documentation help

John Sibert sibert at hawaii.edu
Sat Feb 8 17:07:36 PST 2014

I couldn't agree more. Documenting every function in every source file
would be a tragic waste of time and would not lead to a better user
experience. The emphasis on documentation may come from some nameless
NOAA bureaucrat ignorant of the fact that there is already a lot API and
other documentation. The ADMB API documentation
(http://www.admb-project.org/documentation/api/index.html) has a nicely
indexed list of commonly used functions on the "Function Reference" tab.
Classes and global functions are also indexed, and there is a Search box.

The documentation seems to grow as more people contribute. All of the
contributed libraries are well documented. Steve Martel and others have
added Dox. Johnoel was trying to encourage other developers to
contribute as well. I tend to add Doxygen stuff when a question pops up
in an email or  when I get curious about how something actually works. I
would encourage others to do the same.

John Sibert
Emeritus Researcher, SOEST
University of Hawaii at Manoa