[Developers] glmmADBM status update

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Sat May 24 17:13:52 PDT 2014

The R package glmmADMB has been in a slightly broken state on R-Forge
lately. At the same time, its popularity keeps increasing, based on
journal citations.

I have just given the package a quick first aid treatment (Heimlich
maneuver and sulfur hexafluoride) which got rid of several build warnings.
I also bumped the version number to 0.8.0, as the old 0.7.7 was not
getting very far with R CMD check.

On a technical note, it passes the standard CRAN package integrity tests,
including all the examples on the help pages - but fails a couple of tests
in the strict test suite that Ben Bolker (lead maintainer of glmmADMB)
implemented. These are run after the standard CRAN tests. The crashes seem
to be related to syntax errors that return an error instead of wrong
numbers (which would be worse). The restults from the help page examples
is the same as in previous versions of glmmADMB. The glmmADMB developers
will look into what is causing the strict test suite to crash. This
still-slightly-broken state of affairs does not prevent us from building
the package, which I have just done.

---

To make a long story short, the simplest way to get glmmADMB 0.8.0 for
Linux and Windows (R 3.x) is to run:

install.packages("glmmADMB",
   repos=c("http://glmmadmb.r-forge.r-project.org/repos",
           getOption("repos")))