[ADMB Users] windows version of admb

Jim Ianelli Jim.Ianelli at noaa.gov
Sat Dec 6 10:58:13 PST 2008

This installation worked well (the Rtools28.exe option) and was seamless
with the link that Dave provided below.  Thanks for that.

My initial impression is that the compile-time is considerably slower than
the Borland compiler (old version 5.2) .  Runtime seems is improved
considerable (all within windows vista 32bit).  The Borland compiled code
for a basic assessment model took 39 seconds while the gcc compiled version
took only 25 seconds(no screen IO, I used the redirect ">NUL").  The same
model compiled in "safe" admb mode using the gcc compiler took 33 seconds.

Regarding the distribution of CPU load over the 2 processors was the same in
both cases (appearing to load one by about 1/3 and the other by about 2/3
capacity).

So it seems that using admb with the Borland compiler for development has
advantages (fast compile times, workable debugger) but for execution, the
gcc has clear advantages.

I would like to open the discussion of debuggers.  I notice that the rtools
distribution doesn't seem to include the gdb tools or maybe I'm missing
what's commonly used.  Have folks that use MSVS C++ had luck configuring the
debugger to work well?

Cheers,
Jim

James Ianelli
REFM Division, Alaska Fisheries Science Center, NOAA
7600 Sand Point Way NE
Seattle WA 98115

Ph. 206 526 6510