[ADMB Users] AD Model Builder and R

Schnute, Jon Jon.Schnute at dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Sat Dec 13 19:58:10 PST 2008

Mark and colleagues - This note is a reply to a message forwarded to me by Mark Maunder. I'm addressing a question by Marc Kery: "Any chance that someone might develop an R interface [to ADMB]?"

You may or may not know that, with the help of colleagues here, I've developed several packages for R in recent years. Three of them are currently available on CRAN http://cran.r-project.org/. Each package name begins with "PBS" for the Pacific Biological Station, where I still work as a retired scientist.

We're now developing a package (PBSadmb) designed to support ADMB within R. It will have a GUI interface, and it should make installation of ADMB fairly easy for R users. Hopefully, it will work on all platforms that support R, as long as the ADMB Project distributes the corresponding binary libraries.

See the attached PDF file for a picture of the current (rather primitive) interface. It may take a while for us to support multiple version of Open ADMB, but I'll send a notice to all ADMB users (users at admb-project.org) when PBSadmb is available.

Best wishes,
Jon

Jon Schnute, Scientist Emeritus
Pacific Biological Station