[ADMB Users] AD Model Builder and R

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 13:04:13 PST 2008

Ideally an R interface to a package external to R allows one to
transparently use that package from within R using R commands as if the
package were itself written in R.  All inputs to the package provided
by the user would be R and all outputs back to the user would be R
although there might be translations going on underneath but they
would all be encapsulated within an interface that hides this from
the user.

There are several ways of doing this including (this is not
exhaustive):

- using system calls from R and files, e.g. R2WinBUGS

- using interprocess communications, e.g. Ryacas

- using R's facilities to interface directly to C/C++ programs
  as discussed in the Writing Extensions Manual that comes with R,
  e.g. Rgraphviz (Bioconductor)