[ADMB Users] ADMB-IDE debugger issue

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Fri Aug 28 17:02:00 PDT 2009

Hi Mike,

Like Dave pointed out, the error message is from Emacs, as it fails to
work properly with GDB. The good news is that I don't think this is a
common problem, as I've never seen it before.

I'm not able to reproduce your problem with simple.tpl, using ADMB-IDE in
Windows nor Linux. You can also debug using the shell, like this:

$ cd simple
$ admb -s simple
$ simple
$ gdb simple

I'm guessing that your ADMB-IDE has no problems debugging simple.tpl, but
produces the error when dealing with some other model.tpl. You should
follow Dave's hint and see what happens if you run GDB on the executable
outside Emacs. I've used four different ways to work with GDB:

(1) Shell, just type 'gdb mymodel' to avoid any middle men
(2) DDD, graphical interface
(3) KDBG, similar to DDD but a little smoother
(4) Emacs 'M-x gdb', like the shell but with mouse support

I find them all workable, but none of them great. In the ADMB-IDE manual,
I describe GDB as a last resort for stubborn bugs. I prefer the Emacs
interface where I can (1) left-click to add/remove breakpoints and
right-click to continue until here, (2) paste commands from a previous
session, (3) show object type, and (4) have the same interface in Windows
and Linux.

Do tell us what you find out, Mike. You may end up submitting a bug report
to the Emacs or GDB maintainers. At the core of this is a philosophical
issue: can a debugger debug itself?

Cheers,

Arni