[ADMB Users] linux datafile issues

Nathan Taylor n.taylor at fisheries.ubc.ca
Fri Jan 23 09:41:58 PST 2009

Hi all

I have a Dell 64 bit box with both Windows Vista and Linux (Ubuntu 8.1 Intrepid Ibex) where ADMB is installed for Visual Studio 2005 (VC8).   I am trying to migrate over to linux for all my analyses (and in general).

I've successfully installed ADMB for linux on this machine and can run all the posted examples but am running into some trouble with how the linux version of ADMB read in datafiles.

I have a big model that uses several large data input files.  In most cases, these datafiles are written by other programs that parse and sort the data I use into a usable format.  These datafiles were originally created using either windows based R, Excel or Access.

In the Visual C++ installation blank spaces and blank lines are ignored in the datafile. But I notice using the Linux version that datafiles that i created in using excel/access to be read in properly I need go through it and manually remove all the blank lines and carriage returns. It's as if compile Linux version sees values in leading and trailing white spaces that aren't visible using Gedit.

So my question is do Linux builds expect different ANSI text coding for the datafile?

Any thoughts would be profoundly appreciated!

Nathan

Nathan