[ADMB Users] .cov file

Mark Maunder mmaunder at iattc.org
Thu Aug 12 20:43:08 PDT 2010

Richard,

Correlation( Sa, Sb ) = Covariance( Sa, Sb ) / (σa * σa).

So you can check if the .cov file using the data from the .cor file.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you again for your help. I have tried using different seeds to get MCMC chains and it worked for me.

Now I have an enquiry on the .cov file. After an mpd run, admb generates file admodel.cov, which I guess contains the covariance matrix in binary. But I am not sure about it for two reasons: 1. the numbers look a little small to me; 2. in the examples of ADMB's user manual, there are functions to calculate covariance matrix. I would be very grateful if you could explain wether the contents of the .cov file are covariances and whether they are transformed or not.

Thanks,

Richard

>>> Richard Bian 27/07/2010 11:08 a.m. >>>

Mark,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will give it a go and see what I get.

Regards,

Richard

>>> "Mark Maunder" <mmaunder at iattc.org> 27/07/2010 10:55 a.m. >>>

Richard,

You can use the -mcseed N command line option to generate different mcmc chains. I think it will start at the same place (the mode of the joint posterior) but will take a different path based on a different set of random numbers.

I hope this helps,

Mark

Mark Maunder

Head of the Stock Assessment Program

Inter-American  Tropical Tuna Commission
8604 La Jolla Shores Drive
La Jolla, CA, 92037-1508, USA

Tel: (858) 546-7027
Fax: (858) 546-7133
mmaunder at iattc.org
http://www.fisheriesstockassessment.com/TikiWiki/tiki-index.php?page=Mark+Maunder

Visit the AD Model Builder project at
 http://admb-project.org/ <http://admb-project.org/>

See the following website for information on fisheries stock assessment

http://www.fisheriesstockassessment.com/