[ADMB Users] new version of R2admb on R-forge

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu Aug 19 10:41:37 PDT 2010

dave fournier wrote:
> You are getting the message
>
>      cred <- coutfile[!substr(coutfile, 1, 85) %in% c("cat:
> xxalloc4.tmp: No such file or directory",
>          "cat: xxalloc5.tmp: No such file or directory", "Error
> executing command cat xxglobal.tmp   xxhtop.tmp   header.tmp
> xxalloc1.tmp   x")]
>
> because the indicated file is only created when using a particular
> option in the tpl file. It is not really an error because everything is
> working fine.

  It's a bit confusing, but the R error actually occurred (I think) due
to the warning about safe mode ("-s") being obsolete/redundant. I've
added an (UNTESTED) bit of code on SVN that's supposed to pass warnings
from ADMB through to R's warning() system rather than considering them
errors and stopping.  The complicated bit that Motoki quoted is used to
avoid an error when those (non-error) error messages pop up, by
explicitly ignoring them.

  Motoki, could you test the latest version with safe=TRUE and
safe=FALSE and see if it works properly (i.e. warning when safe=TRUE,
running cleanly when safe=FALSE) ... ? (If I knew how to easily provoke
a non-fatal warning from ADMB, I would test it myself ...)

  It would be really nice (wish list) if things that are not really
errors would not produce error messages ... that would help those of us
who are relatively new to ADMB and hence relatively clueless focus on
the things that are really wrong with our models ...

  cheers
    Ben Bolker