[ADMB Users] hybrid mcmc

Ian Taylor Ian.Taylor at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 31 11:51:49 PDT 2010

  Hi Dave,
Thanks for the jump start on Hybrid MCMC.

I modified your objective function to something
more complex and got the attached results
comparing normal MCMC to the hybrid option. Run
times for with hybrid MCMC is slower, but there's
definitely a payoff in terms of more active
sampling and far better exploration of the
parameter space.

I have a couple questions for you:
First, it seems that within hybrid, ADMB
automatically produces some output at every
iteration. Piping to a file speeds things up, but
is there a way to turn this extra output off or
reduce the frequency? Actually, if I knew what the
output was, maybe I'd be more excited about seeing it.

Second, is there any sort of rescaling of the jump
function(s) in the hybrid MCMC, akin to what
happens in the normal MCMC mode in ADMB? I suppose
the epsilon and n-steps inputs are a manual
analogue to the automatic rescaling, but I haven't
really taken the time to study the theory behind
hybrid MCMC and therefore don't fully understand
how rescaling might work.

Thanks again for putting this into ADMB in the
first place and letting us know how easy it is to
use it.
-Ian