[ADMB Users] sdreport mystery

Paul Conn Paul.Conn at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 9 13:38:16 PST 2010

Hi all:
I have an sdreport mystery having to do with a statistical catch-age
model.  Let me try to set the mood:

It's a dark and stormy night and I'm at my computer.  I try the following:
Run 1:  A model with F/Fmsy and S/Smsy declared as a 'vector'.  The
Hessian converges properly and I am exceedingly happy.
Run 2:  A model with F/Fmsy and S/Smsy declared as 'sdreport_vector'.
The Hessian appears to converge but then there's a bunch of extra DOS
output saying that the estimated correlation matrix isn't positive
definite.  (this also happens if I declare terminal stock status as a
sdreport_number).

So I'm wondering if anyone has insight on why this is happening.  What I
would guess ADMB is doing in the background is calculating numerical
derivatives of the sd_report variables w.r.t. the actual parameters and
then using a Taylor series (delta method) approximation to get a
variance estimate.  If this is the case, is there a way to check these
numerical derivatives to pinpoint the problem?  Or am I completely wrong
about what ADMB is doing here?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Cheers, Paul

--
Paul B. Conn, Ph.D. Research Statistician
National Marine Fisheries Service
Paul.Conn at noaa.gov

"Information contained in this message does not represent the official
view of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration."