[ADMB Users] Interested in ADMB development?

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Sat May 22 17:28:39 PDT 2010

The line-ending discussion brings up the topic of user interest in
development.

Immediately after responding to Saang-Yoon's question on
users at admb-project.org, I also sent a message to
developers at admb-project.org, starting a more technical discussion among
developers on whether ADMB could be made more robust to line endings. Dave
Fournier responded by submitting a fix that Johnoel then committed to the
source repository.

Later, three ADMB users (Ian Taylor, Mike Prager, and Ben Bolker)
continued the discussion of making ADMB more robust to line endings, after
the fix had already been committed. What we've got here is a failure to
communicate - but this can be improved.

Ian, Mike, and Ben are skilled developers (I use their software) and the
last thing we want is to make such ADMB users feel left out of technical
discussions regarding ADMB development.

Firstly, anyone can browse through the developers at admb-project.org
archives at http://groups.google.com/group/admb-developers.

Secondly, those who want to listen "live" and be able to participate in
technical discussions should send Anders Nielsen <anders at nielsensweb.org>
an email to become a member of the developers at admb-project.org mailing
list. This is a larger group than the development core team, and entails
no responsibilities.

The three key people regarding ADMB development are Johnoel Ancheta
(coordination and repository maintenance), John Sibert (final say on
decisions), and Dave Fournier (original author and expert).

In the long term, we can expect user contributions to be a major factor in
ADMB development. I encourage anyone to subscribe to
developers at admb-project.org by sending Anders Nielsen
<anders at nielsensweb.org> an email.

Arni