[ADMB Users] Retrospective analysis

Jim Ianelli Jim.Ianelli at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 1 09:57:08 PDT 2010

My approach has been to not change the data file but fake it out.

For example, if the full model runs from styr to endyr I read all the data
in that way then have a variable (integer) also read in that sets the number
of years to peel off (zero for full model).

After reading in the data, I use a surrogate endyr to dimension all the
other variables.  E.g., endyr_r (_r for retrospective) and ensure that all
predicted values are dimensioned accordingly.

Care must be taken however to test for cases where peeling off data exceeds
the number of observations for some data types.  E.g., if you have a survey
time series that starts in 2002 and you peel of 10 years from a model that
ends in 2010.

It takes a little extra coding but has paid off.

Be sure to compile in safe mode!

Cheers,

Jim

James Ianelli

 <http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/REFM/stocks/assessments.htm> REFM Division,
Alaska Fisheries Science Center

National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration

7600 Sand Point Way NE

Seattle WA 98115

Ph. 206 526 6510