[ADMB Users] After install ADMB-ide-440-2, 'admb' is not recognized ....

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Mon Nov 29 10:59:41 PST 2010

Hi Saang-Yoon,

This problem is briefly explained on page 18 of the user manual
(http://admb-project.org/community/editing-tools/admb-ide/manual/at_download/file).

First, locate the directory containing admb.bat. On my computer it's
c:/admb/gcc440/bin.

Now open a Dos shell and type:

   echo %PATH%

This lists the directories where Windows looks for commands that you type
in the Dos shell. When I work with ADMB in the Dos shell, I type something
equivalent to

   set ADMB_HOME=c:/admb/gcc440
   set PATH=c:/gnu/gcc440/bin;c:/admb/gcc440/bin

which defines a minimal PATH to make the shell recognize the ADMB
compilation commands. A longer PATH can be problematic when compiling ADMB
models.

The most likely problem is that your PATH variable either doesn't contain
the c:/admb/gcc440/bin directory at all, or it contains extra spaces or
other garbage that confuses Windows. The 'set' command above changes the
PATH temporarily, only for that shell session. There are many ways to
modify the PATH permanently in Windows, none of them very graceful. One
way is described on page 18 in the ADMB-IDE user manual.

Arni