[ADMB Users] gradstack buffer size error

Mollie Brooks mbrooks at ufl.edu
Tue Feb 1 16:56:59 PST 2011

Hi,
I'm continually having problems with memory allocation. I don't
understand the purpose of this error

  It appears that the size you are setting for the
  GRADSTACK_BUFFER is > 64K in a 16 bit word machine.This appears
  to be an error. The maximum size argument for the function
--- gradient_structure::set_GRADSTACK_BUFFER_SIZE(long int i) ---
should probably be  89478485
UINT_MAX = 4294967295
  i = 10000000000
  gs_size = 48
  i*gs_size = 480000000000

I really do need a buffer larger than this (otherwise I get a
gradfil1.tmp >32GB). When I ask for a larger buffer in the command
line (-gbs), it behaves erratically: sometimes it is enough and
sometimes I get the gradfil1.tmp. It's very frustrating. The only
difference between the different runs is the node on the cluster that
the job goes to. Could that be causing the program to use different
amounts of memory.
thanks,
Mollie