[ADMB Users] Turning parameters on and off

anders at nielsensweb.org anders at nielsensweb.org
Thu Feb 10 02:48:40 PST 2011

Hi Mark,

I would use the phases capabilities, and then set them to -1 if
you don't want to estimate a given parameter. Then you can read
the phase in via your data file, or via a different control file
that you switch to via:

  !! ad_comm::change_datafile_name("newfile.dat");

in your data section.

A small example below of reading in phases and bounds is shown
below. It uses the init_bounded_number_vector type, but that is
not necessary, as you can set the phases on all model parameters.

Cheers,

Anders.

DATA_SECTION
  init_int N
  init_vector Y(1,N)
  init_vector x(1,N)
  init_vector lb(1,3)
  init_vector ub(1,3)
  init_ivector phase(1,3)
PARAMETER_SECTION
  init_bounded_number_vector th(1,3,lb,ub,phase)
  objective_function_value nll
PROCEDURE_SECTION
  nll=0.5*(N*log(2*M_PI*square(th(3)))
      +sum(square(Y-(th(1)+th(2)*x)))/square(th(3)));

With the datafile

# number of observations
10
# observed Y values