[ADMB Users] ADMB-IDE for Linux and Mac OS

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Fri Feb 18 01:38:11 PST 2011

As I have tagged admb-ide-450-1.zip as a package for all operating
systems, I'm wondering if anyone knows how ADMB-IDE could be properly
packaged for Linux and Mac OS.

---

The setup procedure for ADMB-IDE in Linux and Mac OS is very simple:

1. Require ADMB, Emacs, GCC, GDB.

2. Copy .emacs
(http://admb-project.org/community/editing-tools/admb-ide/core) to the
HOME directory.

3. Copy admb.el
(http://admb-project.org/community/editing-tools/emacs/admb.el) to some
directory where Emacs can find it.

That's it, really. Things that users might appreciate include:

4. Copy the manuals
(http://admb-project.org/documentation/manuals/admb-user-manuals) and NEWS
(http://admb-project.googlecode.com/files/admb-ide-450-1.zip) to some
directory where the user can find them.

5. Create desktop or menu shortcut to start ADMB-IDE using the green ADMB
icon (http://admb-project.googlecode.com/files/admb-ide-450-1.zip). Maybe
also shortcuts to the manuals.

6. Associate ADMB files (cor, ctl, dat, par, pin, psv, rep, std, tpl) so
that they open in ADMB-IDE when double-clicked in a file manager.

---

These are all relatively simple tasks, but I think many Linux and Mac OS
users would appreciate some automated way. Call it a package, installer,
script, whatever. The crucial steps are 2 and 3, the rest are optional.

Any ideas?

Arni