[ADMB Users] NLMM Model Selection

Chris Gast cmgast at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 10:42:28 PST 2011

I hadn't thought this would be a difficult question, but perhaps I was
wrong.  I'll try and rephrase in hopes of inspiring some more interest.

1) Is it correct to say that the objective function value returned in the
.par value of a RE model is the approximation to the marginal likelihood,
post-integration?

2a) Is it correct to obtain the conditional likelihood value by
re-evaluating the likelihood function at the MLEs (for fixed parameters) and
empirical Bayes estimates of REs?

2b) If 2a is true, can this value be obtained in a single ADMB model-fit, or
do I need to first fit the model, then re-run the model using the optimum
values from the previous run and output an initial likelihood value to get
the conditional likelihood?

3) Or am I way off here?

I used to output the objective function value to the report file, but I
noticed that it did not match the value from the .par file (the former was
not the minimum).

Thanks again,

Chris Gast

Chris Gast