[ADMB Users] 10.0beta2 fails to build on windows

Alex Couture-Beil alex at mofo.ca
Wed Jan 5 23:53:25 PST 2011

Hello,

I encountered two issues while building from source on windows. After
making a small change to the makefile (or realizing that I had to
directly reference the makefile in src), I was able to build admb on
windows - yay :)

issue 1)

C:\...\admb-10.0Beta2\admb-10.0Beta2>mingw32-make --file=Makefile mingw
make --directory=src --file=mingw.mak
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, make --directory=src
--file=mingw.mak, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
mingw32-make: *** [mingw] Error 2

This can be fixed with using $(MAKE) instead of assuming the existance of make

$(MAKE) --directory=src --file=mingw.mak

**I note $(MAKE) is used in the nested makefiles :)

issue 2)

cmd /C "cd gcc345mingw-win32olp& ar -rs libdf1b2o.a *.obj"
'cmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Can be replicated with:

set PATH=c:\MinGW\bin;c:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin
cd src
mingw32-make.exe --file=mingw.mak

set PATH=c:\MinGW\bin;c:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin;c:\Windows\system32
will fix the issue.

issue 3)
Not really a issue with admb itself; however, I first tried running
make blindly which ended up hitting a cygwin version of make which
fails to run the ADMB makefile. (the cygwin version runs commands with
a -c prefixed - see
http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg88022.html). The
instructions on
http://admb-project.org/documentation/installation/build mention
installing cygwin for borland install at least - it might be good to
warn against running the cygwin version of Make (or somehow make a
compatible Makefile).
This issue first gave me the error: make[1]: C:Windowssystem32cmd.exe:
Command not found (for some reason the cygwin Make version needs SHELL
to escape backslashes - but trying to address is a dead end since
mingw or GnuWin32 Make is required)

After addressing these issues I was able to build on windows 7.

Thanks,
Alex

PS: I see there's source code on the google code; however it's for
version 9 and not 10. Is there an open read-only version of SVN which
contains an up to date trunk? It could encourage user submitted
patches along with fully embracing an open development process.