[ADMB Users] ADMB NBMM for R: running ADMB in parallel?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 14:14:45 PDT 2011

On 11-07-29 04:53 PM, James R. Bence wrote:
> Following up on Weihai's response:
>
> I think the problem you are encountering is caused, as you suspect, by
> conflicts in files that are being created as the multiple copies of admb
> program run.  Each time you call glmm.admb it is running the same admb
> executable program in the same directory and thus you have multiple
> calls modifying the same output files such as admb.cov.  When we run
> admb programs in parallel on the HPCC (Michigan State's High Performance
> Compute Center) servers, we either set up multiple copies of our
> compiled programs in different directories or we have our shell script
> make the copies.
>
> Ideally we would just pass calls to our program an arg that would tell
> it where to save the output files different from where the program
> starts (does anyone know a way to do this?) and then we would not need
> to set up multiple copies of the executable in different places.
>
> You have the added challenge that even if there is any easy way to
> change the location for output files, you need to be able to pass that
> info through your R call to glmm.admb.  I recall that recently there was
> expression that it would be nice to add the capability of passing
> arbitrary args to glmm.admb, so I suspect that capability does not yet
> exist.
>
> Jim Bence

   It should be there -- I added it on June 15.  If someone tries it and
it doesn't work, let me know.  I will point out that there's a
bug/feature request tracker for glmmADMB at
<https://r-forge.r-project.org/tracker/?group_id=847> -- you may need to
set up an r-forge account in order to add new bugs/requests.