[ADMB Users] gradient_structure problem with nbinom glmm.admb in R

Rafael Mares crm53 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 12 04:04:10 PDT 2011

Dear all

I am trying to run the following model using glmmADMB (ver. 0.5-2) in
R (ver. 2.13.0) in a linux terminal:

rmix<-glmm.admb(dur~1,random=~group,group="id",data=dat,family="nbinom",easyFlag=FALSE,verbose=TRUE)

and I get the following error message:

Current maximum number of independent variables is 50000
  You need to increase the global variable MAX_NVAR_OFFSET to 58531
  This can be done by putting the line
    'gradient_structure::set_MAX_NVAR_OFFSET(58531);'
  before the declaration of the gradient_structure object.
Error in glmm.admb(dur ~ 1, random = ~group, group = "id", data = dat,  :
  The function maximizer failed

I've done some reading, mainly on the admb-project website and posts
on this mailing list, and tried modifying the 'gradient_structure'
line in the TOP_OF_MAIN_SECTION in the nbmm.tpl file in my R library,
as I think is suggested... but I get the same error message as if
nothing had been changed. I would greatly appreciate it if someone
could clarify if I'm doing something wrong, or if it actually isn't
possible to change the gradient_structure when running glmmADMB
through R. By the way, I have no problems running the same model with
"random=~1".

Thank you in advance for any help.
All the best,

Raff