[ADMB Users] generalizing REML

H. Skaug hskaug at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 03:29:56 PDT 2011

Yes, but one could say that this practice needs an argument. I think
(I have seen a paper once.) The argument I like myself is that
integration with respect to nuisance parameters (fixed effects
in the context of estimating variances) is a good thing:

Title: Integrated likelihood methods for eliminating nuisance parameters
Author(s): Berger JO, Liseo B, Wolpert RL
Source: STATISTICAL SCIENCE   Volume: 14   Issue: 1   Pages: 1-22
Published: FEB 1999

The question then becomes whether you thrust the Laplace approximation,
but in a GLMM context you already to that for the random effects, so why
not for the fixed effects.

Hans