[ADMB Users] macos weird install

Mollie Brooks mbrooks at ufl.edu
Thu Jun 30 09:42:27 PDT 2011

This isn't a problem; it's more of a surprise issue that I wanted to be sure was documented for the next person...

I unknowingly had an old version of admb in /usr/local/bin that my computer was using. I could have found this out by typing in the terminal

which admb

This says where the computer goes to get admb.

I noticed it the hard way when an old bug wasn't going away when I installed the new version. I deleted all existing versions, installed from scratch and then my computer didn't recognize the command admb because it was looking in the wrong place.

I had ADMB_HOME=/usr/local/admb and path defined in .bashrc, but the default terminal shell window on macs doesn't read .bashrc automatically. I had to add the info to a file .bash_profile which does get automatically read.

So if, after correctly installing, your computer doesn't recognize the command admb, you may need to do the following in the terminal

cd
nano .bash_profile

ADMB_HOME=/usr/local/admb
export PATH=$ADMB_HOME/bin:$PATH