[ADMB Users] Overdispersed mcmc starting values

Campbell, Alex Alex.Campbell at deedi.qld.gov.au
Mon May 16 20:42:26 PDT 2011

Gelman's convergence statistic is handy, but requires multiple chains
with overdispersed initial values. In principle I just invert the
negative of the hessian and inflate the resulting covariance matrix by
some factor and sample from this multivariate distribution..

How do I go about implementing this? Is the hessian stored as a global
variable I can access? And how do I specify initial values for the mcmc
chain? I'm guessing someone has been here before.

Any general convergence diagnostic advice will also be greatly
appreciated :)

-alex

********************************DISCLAIMER****************************
The information contained in the above e-mail message or messages
(which includes any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
privileged.  It is intended only for the use of the person or entity
to which it is addressed.  If you are not the addressee any form of
disclosure, copying, modification, distribution or any action taken
or omitted in reliance on the information is unauthorised.  Opinions
contained in the message(s) do not necessarily reflect the opinions
of the Queensland Government and its authorities.  If you received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete it from your computer system network.