[ADMB Users] explantion on error message: no match for 'operator'

dave fournier davef at otter-rsch.com
Fri May 27 09:11:46 PDT 2011

Is this a vignette?

When I was writing the Autodiff libraries (which underly ADMB)
I used the * operator for the vector dot product.  Why not use
the same conventions as R you ask.  Well R did not exist yet (this was
around 1990)
  and Splus (if it existed) was so full of memory leaks that it was
incapable of
running any slightly non-trivial (for that time) non linear
parameter estimation model.   Even today  ADMB is up to thousands
of times faster than R for slightly large nonlinear models.

One thing I hate to do is to break code that currently works.
(Sadly open sourcing seems to have degraded the software a bit in
this respect, but what can you expect from a committee.)
But I digress.

Anyway  since * was taken I used elem_prod and elem_div for
element wise operations.