[ADMB Users] Changes in getting/not getting an std file between Versions 9 and 10

Larry Jacobson ljacobso at mercury.wh.whoi.edu
Mon Nov 7 06:39:51 PST 2011

Folks-

1) I have an observation, a suggestion and a request for information
about convergence and std file generation in ADMB Version 10 in Windows
(Borland compiler).

2) Observation: Version 10 in Windows does not give an std file after in
some cases were Version 9 did.

In particular, Version 10 seems to be pickier and will not generate an
std file unless all of the parameters and sdreport objects are fully
converged.  For example,  code like:

PARAMETER_SECTION
   sdreport_number xx
PROCEDURE_SECTION
   xx=0.0;

would generate an std file under version 9 (with the complaint
"Estimated covariance matrix may not be positive definite") but version
10 does not (and it doesn't complain).

3) Suggestion: I don't have a problem with the new approach but it would
be helpful to get a diagnostic or a message.  It would be particularly
good if the offending parameter(s) were identified (is this possible?).

4) Request: Can someone describe the current algorithm for determining
if the std file is written?  Is there anything about the algorithm that
might help locate problems quickly?

5) I attach a real world example (from Mike Wilberg at the University of
Maryland, Chesapeake Bay Laboratory).  This code sets certain elements
of an sdreport_vector called qr to zero (which admittedly it shouldn't
do).  Anyway, the tpl prefixed NO_ generates an std file under version 9
but not under version 10.  The tpl prefixed YES_ generates an std file
under both versions.  The only difference between the two is that the
vector qr is a vector in NO_ and an sdreport_vector in YES_ (see line 167).

6) I am getting anal in my old age...

Cheers!

--

"The contents of this message do not reflect
E-mail: larry.jacobson at noaa.gov