[ADMB Users] a difference in estimates between versions?

Allan.Hicks at noaa.gov Allan.Hicks at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 4 23:40:20 PDT 2011

Hi Saang-Yoon,

I agree with Ian Taylor here. It would be useful to determine if the
difference is due to 64-bit vs 32-bit, ADMB 9 vs ADMB 10, or a
combination of both.

Also, if the large differences are seen in the standard errors, maybe a
different starting point would result in a better estimate of the
Hessian, but you may have already tried this.  If you use the .bar file
(-binp) as the starting point, and do not estimate the parameters, is
there still a large difference (basically trying to determine if the
standard errors are largely different at the same converged values)?

If you can send me a tpl and dat file, I will see if I can replicate
your differences.  Ian Taylor and I have been testing SS3 compiled with
32-bit and 64-bit versions, as well as ADMB 9 and ADMB 10 and we have
not found significant differences. But, we should probably make sure
that we are checking the standard errors.

Thanks for pointing this out, and hopefully we can solve this without
too much difficulty.

Allan