[ADMB Users] Does CUDA suck? answer NO!

CHRIS GRANDIN cgrandin at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 14 08:40:34 PDT 2011

Dave, I am wondering why you didn't use OpenCL library like I did in my matrix mult example at the workshop?  If you do there is no requirement for a special compiler (nvcc) and extra makefiles, and the code is already optimized.

Yes, the limiting factor is the bussing of data to/from the GPU and for addition it outweighs the cost of the addition operations. Its the same for OpenCL, that's why I did the matrix mult example..

Also I don't see how you are carrying the derivative information around, that was my issue thus far, CUDA and OpenCL don't support C++ classes yet!  Please let me know what you think of this as this parallelization has been of ongoing interest to me.

Thanks,

Chris