[ADMB Users] help with glmm.admb negative binomial multilevel model

Mollie Brooks mbrooks at ufl.edu
Thu Sep 22 19:11:36 PDT 2011

Hi Matt,
Type in ?glmmadmb and if you're using the latest version, there should be this

random	a formula specifying the random effects. A single random effect may be specified as ~x|g, but parentheses must be used if more than one random effect is specified (e.g.,~(x1|g1)+(x2|g2)).

If you don't see that, then you need to download the newer version before you can do multiple random effects.
To get the latest version, follow directions on this web page
http://glmmadmb.r-forge.r-project.org/

The website says the new version has a "new formula format, similar to that of the lme4 package, where random and fixed effects are specified as part of a single formula (random can also be specified separately, as in lme)"

So, if you want a random intercept for each student and class, you would do
> output <- glmm.admb(Y~Treat+ (1|class)+ (1|student) ,family="nbinom", data=mydata)

or if you think the different classes and students will be affected differently by the treatment levels, you may want
> output <- glmm.admb(Y~Treat+ (Treat|class)+ (Treat|student) ,family="nbinom", data=mydata)
but this requires a larger dataset because it fits more parameters (random intercept and random slope).

best,
Mollie

Mollie Brooks
Ph.D. Candidate