[ADMB Users] Determining Hessian status from script

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Mon Apr 2 12:44:10 PDT 2012

Hi Curry,

I can think of two relatively simple ways to determine which model runs
got positive definite Hessian.

1. After each model run, move key output files to run-specific name:

   model -ind run001.txt
   move model.cor run001.cor
   move model.rep run001.rep

   model -ind run002.txt
   move model.cor run002.cor
   move model.rep run002.rep

You will get run*.rep files from all model runs, but you will only get
run*.cor files from the ones that got positive definite Hessian.

2. Use the exit status, %ERRORLEVEL% in Dos or $? in Bash, to determine
success:

   model -ind run001.dat > run001.log
   if %ERRORLEVEL%==0 (echo run001 done) else (echo run001 FAILED)

   model -ind run002.dat > run002.log
   if %ERRORLEVEL%==0 (echo run002 done) else (echo run002 FAILED)

Some mixture of this stuff should do the trick. Depending on your
scripting skills (and mental pain threshold), you could employ loops or
other techniques to make the script shorter and to avoid typos. You could
also use another program, like R or Emacs, to write a long and plain
script programmatically.

Arni