[ADMB Users] Problems with RE model, using FUNCTIONs for integration

Jeff Laake jefflaake at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 09:59:07 PST 2012

So I spent some time with this and I was able to get it to work with adromb
although there are some minor differences probably related to Laplace
approximation. It is not due to the integration because I swapped out the
adromb code for cumd_norm and got the same answer. From what I understand
this will not work with separable functions which is a bit of an issue
because it doesn't scale up nicely like the separable function. If I'm
wrong about that please let me know. It would be a big improvement if the
integration could be used from a separable function.

I've attached the tpl and dat files (they are identical) from existing
example for random effect example (hnre_f2.tpl) and the adromb version of
the same likelihood (inthnre_f2.tpl).  Both are based on eq 7 in
https://github.com/downloads/jlaake/ADMB-Examples/distance_random_effect.pdf
.

Thanks for your effort here Dave. It does work as you stated and it worked
great for say n<=200. If I were to take the integral into the loop for the
case of covariates then the temp files get huge and become problematic.
 The separable function approach is preferable and doesn't suffer from the
temp file problem. So far the time being I'm left with functions like
cumd_norm or internally coding an approximation.

regards--jeff