[ADMB Users] mildly robust methods in count models

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 18:49:25 PST 2012

On 12-12-14 03:00 PM, dave fournier wrote:
> On 12-12-14 11:53 AM, H. Skaug wrote:
>
> What I was proposing was a compromise.  Use the R side of glmmadmb to
> write the model
> and produce the pin and dat files.

  Depending on what you're doing, you might not need glmmADMB: R2admb
has some less-encumbered functions to write pin and dat files ...

 Then just modify the glmmadmb.tpl
> file to produce various versions
> of the code that do what you want.  I don't really care much about the R
> side of the reports.
> They are already missing some things anyway.

  I apologize if you've already told me, but can you remind me what's
missing ... ?

>  If the results look good
> it may motivate
> others to complete the R side of the thing.  Personally I don't like
> having to rely on others
> to write code.  Other people are always busy.  God knows what they are
> doing.
>
>> I think it is a good idea check if robustness changes the conclusion
>> of published
>> empirical studies. That would be an interesting study in itself.
>>
>> About your suggestion of using glmmADMB
>> I think that should be easily done an a case by case basis.
>> What requires a lot of work however, is to "robustify glmmADMB"
>> as an R-package. I imagine that would involve changing all the
>> postprocessing
>> stuff that is written in R (diagnostics, etc).

   Again, can you be any more specific?

  I might move glmmADMB to github sometime soon -- the "issues lists"
there are prettier than the R-forge issue trackers (although I do also
have to get back to the issue tracker and see about fixing what's there ...
http://r-forge.r-project.org/tracker/?group_id=847

  Ben