[ADMB Users] function maximizer failed (couldn't find STD file)??

Shawn McCracken frocga at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 14:05:44 PST 2012

Dear glmmADMB users,

Yesterday I was running my full & reduced models with several different
distribution families and had no problems except for the warning message
"Estimated covariance matrix may not be positive definite" followed by a
string of numbers for a few of the distribution famlies. But when I ran the
summary() command on the model everything seemed fine. I decided I would
update to the latest version of glmmADMB to see what happens. Ran the same
models and the warning was gone. Great! I was on Mac OSX 10.6.8, running R
v.2.14.0 64-bit, and package glmmADMB v.0.6.5 and updated to glmmADMB
v.0.7.2.5. I ran the following distributions: poisson, zero-inflated
poisson, negative binomial, zero-inflated negative binomial, and negative
binomial type 1. Today I come back to continue working on reduced models
and I get the following error:
Error in glmmadmb(count ~ treat + bromleaf + (1 | tree), data = ecpad,  :
  The function maximizer failed (couldn't find STD file)
In addition: Warning message:
running command './glmmadmb -maxfn 500 -maxph 5 -noinit -shess' had status
1

I have now gone through restarting everything, downgrading glmmADMB to
v.0.7.2.4 then back to v.0.7.2.5, and upgraded R to v.2.14.1 with no luck.
I looked for glmmADMB version 0.6.5 but couldn't find it. Just some
preliminary testing with models that ran fine yesterday it appears
that negative binomial (family="nbinom") and negative binomial type 1
(family="nbinom1") are the two that now give the above error. It is strange
that zero-inflated negative binomial works fine. I have tried to follow the
previous few posts about dealing with this problem but with no luch and its
a little unclear to me if they were on a Mac or not for some of those
remedies.

Really loving all the new functionality of glmmADMB so big thanks to the
developers. Just bummed its not working for me now, particularly negative
binomial type 1.

Where can I get the glmmADMB v. 0.6.5 that was working?

Thank you,

Shawn