[ADMB Users] my ADMB program is very sensitive to initial guess values in parameters, but different results look okay???

James R. Bence bence at msu.edu
Sat Jun 16 05:59:48 PDT 2012

Dear Saang-Yoon

As usual I replied all to your message so it would go immediately to you
and eventually to the list after moderation.  But the list one bounced
because you sent to google groups and apparently I am not subscribed to
that version of users but I am to the list at admb-project.org.  I think
the google list is archaic and forwards to the other.  Johnnoel is this
something to be cleaned up?

You are asking a very generic question related to numerical searches for
best fitting parameters that is not really specific to admb.  The result
you are seeing reflects something about your specific model and data and
specifics of how you did the search.  The basic results you seem to be
reporting suggest that the admb program thinks you have found a local
minimum in the sense that the gradient is nominally zero (absolute values
all below a theshold) and estimated Hessian is positive definite.  If
starting with different starting values leads to different numerical
answers there seem to be two possibilities.  First that for your problem
there really are multiple local minima or second you really are not at a
local minima just something that numerically appears to be and each time
you do a search you end up at a different false minima.   The simplest
thing you could try is to make the criterion for gradients to be assumed to
be zero more stringent and see if the problem goes away  (check manual on
how to change default gradient values).  It could be the case the problem
does not go away even if you make the criterion so small that it takes very
long time (many iterations to meet).  Then you may still have either of the
problems but there would seem to be a problem with your model given the
data that are available.  It could be that the model is poorly
parameterized (scale of parameters very different from one another or
parameters highly correlated) or it could be still that there are really
local minima.  It is hard to give any specific advice without actually
seeing code and data.  I suspect that there are a number of people on the
list who would jump in with suggestions if you provided that.

Another thing you could do to try to diagnose what is going on is to take a
look at the different solutions you are getting and compare your objective
functions at the solutions.  If you are getting almost identical values for
the objective function but the parameters are varying enough that you are
concerned this suggests there really is a model problem in the sense that
there really does not appear to be a unique minimum to the objective function.

Hope this helps

At 07:23 PM 6/15/2012, Saang-Yoon wrote:
>Hi.
>With small changes in initial guess values of parameters, different
>results are generated. Interestingly different results are satisfactory in
>terms of Hessian matrix calculation, and stability (i.e., maximum gradient
>= almost zero).  Although a difference between two results are small, the
>episode indicates a failure to regenerate the same results.  Given the
>same data, the same results must be generated.   Also it is not good that
>the results are *very* sensitive to initial guess values.  Appreciated is
>any suggestion/advice about how to avoid the problem?
>Saang-Yoon

Jim Bence
Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife
Michigan State University