[ADMB Users] ADMB-IDE 10.1

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Thu Mar 8 09:06:32 PST 2012

Exactly.

* GCC is the bottom layer. It doesn't have to be on the C drive, but the
PATH environment variable must point to the GCC bin directory. Compile and
run some minimal hello-world C++ example to make sure it's working.

* ADMB is the next layer. It doesn't have to be on the C drive, but the
PATH environment variable must point to the ADMB bin directory, and the
ADMB_HOME environment variable must point to the ADMB root directory.
Compile and run simple.tpl to make sure it's working.

* Emacs is an optional top layer. It doesn't have to be on the C drive,
but it looks for an environment variable called HOME pointing to a
directory where the Emacs user settings are stored in a file called
'.emacs'. It's a good idea to have the PATH environment variable point to
the Emacs bin directory, so you can start Emacs from the shell. To install
admb-mode (syntax colors and dev tools), either accept the ADMB-IDE
installer defaults, or learn the basics of Emacs package installation and
follow the instructions inside admb.el. To make sure everything is
working, open simple.tpl, compile and run from within Emacs.

* GDB is an optional module for advanced users. It doesn't have to be on
the C drive, but the PATH environment variable should point to the GDB bin
directory.

I'm working on an old WinXP box, so I'm not familiar with the privileges
of Windows 7 that your IT folks may be battling, but I can imagine the
pain. I'd be surprised if starting runemacs.exe requires more privileges
than starting any other text editor.

You can actually run ADMB and all the IDE components from a thumb drive,
without writing anything to the hard drive, but you need to set the
environment variables (PATH, ADMB_HOME, and optionally HOME) one way or
another. This exercise might help the IT folks pinpoint the problem
they're running into. If ADMB-IDE can run from a thumb drive, it can run
from any drive.

Arni