[ADMB Users] survey of memory settings in ADMB

Allan Hicks allan.hicks at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 23 13:50:51 PDT 2012

And here are the settings for Awatea (a branch of Coleraine):

    gradient_structure::set_GRADSTACK_BUFFER_SIZE(1000000);
    gradient_structure::set_CMPDIF_BUFFER_SIZE(15000000);
    gradient_structure::set_MAX_NVAR_OFFSET(500);
    gradient_structure::set_NUM_DEPENDENT_VARIABLES(500);

To answer Arni's question about memory allocation, I believe than Ian
Taylor and I found that setting high values of GRADSTACK_BUFFER_SIZE did
not allocate more memory than necessary, but setting high values of
CMPDIFF_BUFFER_SIZE did increase the memory usage even when additional
memory was not needed.  Also, I think that one needs to be careful and
think of the minimum setup a user will have that will be acceptable.  For
example, Ian and I set some defaults for Stock Synthesis that seemed fine
on our machines, but a user with less memory received a memory allocation
error that made the model fail.  So, when setting default values for ADMB,
I think that we may need to consider the minimum specifications of all
platforms under consideration. (Didn't Dave once compile a model for
Android or some tablet OS? Not that we all want to do stock assessments on
our phones.)

Allan